The National Gallery of Art in Washington DC now have a designated nursing room or mothers lounge for breast pumping, band there are plenty of quiet benches and cozy spots throughout the museum that nbreastfeeding moms often use to sit and breastfeed, such as the Sculpture Garden benches.
The gallery staff and security guards are very warm and friendly to nursing mothers and does not discourage them from nursing around the museum.
HOURS: 10AM - 5PM 7 Daily
National Gallery of Art- East Building:
- Nursing Room: The new dedicated lactation room is available near the East Building Auditorium on the Concourse. Family restrooms are in the East Building on the Concourse and Mezzanine.
- There are also benches throughout the building. The information desk is very friendly and do encourage moms to go wherever they feel comfortable to breastfeed.
- Stroller Accessible Entrance: If you are coming from the East building you will need to take the elevator in the large auditorium (follow the signs). From outside the main entrance is accessible.
- Changing Table: When you come through the walkway from the East building the bathrooms are just to your right. There is a counter through the door to the women’s room that you can use.
National Gallery of Art- West Building:
- Stroller Accessible Entrance: Constitution Avenue. Throughout the building there are lots of elevators to bypass small stairwells. Prepare yourself for a roundabout trip!
- Changing Table: After entering at Constitution Avenue, take the elevator directly to your right up one floor. To the left is a sign for the women’s restroom. There is a…lobby of sorts…outside of the women’s room with a changing table. Since it is really separate room it would be possible for men to use this table as well. Family restrooms are in the West Building on the Main Floor.
- Nursing: In the same room as the changing table there is a bench along one wall. It isn’t the most private (since it is leads to the bathroom) or the most comfortable (a chair rail hits just across your back) but it will do. There are also benches throughout the museum that you could use.
Note: Report mom-shaming or harassment while nursing in public or near lactation rooms (breastfeeding rooms), at Moms Pump Here mobile site https://www.momspumphere.com