In honor of Earth Day, let's celebrate the ways moms who pump can help protect Mother Earth. Here are five quick changes you can make in your day that will help our planet:
1. Pump directly into bottles or containers that can be ready for your baby to use instead of using disposable plastic storage bags.
2. Use cloth diapers if possible - these are becoming much more popular, affordable, and available in the past two years. They're not as unpleasant as the cloth diapers our grandmothers used.
3. When cleaning pump parts, utilize a re-usable steam bag that can be microwaved or boiled multiple times. Alternatively, you could wash your pump parts inside a basket in the dishwasher. This cuts down on the water needed to sterilize the pump pieces.
4. Resist the urge to use disposable pads for the baby's spills, spit ups, and accidents. They certainly are convenient but switching to washable cloths and/or light blankets to handle these incidents can drastically cut down on what goes to your local landfill.
5. Go outside with your baby. Enjoying springtime sunshine is an easy way to introduce your baby to the environment and show him or her how much you care for the world they're living in.