There's been quite a bit of news lately about what it means to be on maternity leave. From politicians in the United States saying women should go back to work after 2 months to authors wanting all the perks of maternity leave.
Girl.....the only perks during maternity leave are being with your baby, nurturing your baby and watching your baby grow! So to make it clear to any nay sayers who think maternity leave is some code word for vacation we've compiled a list!
10 Reasons Why Maternity Leave is NOT Vacation:
10. You don't change your clothes much. In fact your clothes come with baby spit, breast milk, poop and pee stains. All the best designs!
9. Your hair falls out. Usually before vacation you do your hair. That doesn't happen here. After the baby arrives all that amazing hair you had during pregnancy disappears.
8. Your drinking a lot.....of water! Trying to keep up breast milk demands or your energy is a lot of work. Water is basically your only food group.
7. Food? You don't remember what you ate the day before because you have barely had sleep!!
6. You're on your period for like...forever. Sex? Nope! What is a vagina anyway?
5. Vacation means meeting new friends. Maternity leave means not having anything else to talk about with your single friends, except the baby...so what friends?
4. Breast pumps are your new favorite accessory. Not that hot bikini.
3. Vacation means fun and laughter. Sure babies are beautiful and fun but some moms experience post partum depression. This is very serious and not to be taken lightly.
2. Maternity leave is essential for the baby's growth. The longer the better...and while being paid. After vacation you go back to work not thinking about your baby wailing when you dropped him off to the sitter and if you pumped enough milk to last the day.
1. On vacation you sleep...late...in a drunken stooper...peacefully. No such thing on maternity leave. You are working 24/7 with little sleep!
Next time someone questions your maternity leave show them this list.